Remember waaaaay back when I showed you a sneak peak of my "next" project? It's finally done.
Presenting... Sweetpea's Spring Dress (drum roll, please.)
I used the same pattern I used for the dress I made her for her 3rd birthday last July, Simplicity's pattern 2432, which I blogged about here. The adorable orange material with apples and daisies was given to me in a hand-me-down material bag, as was the white linen I used for the lining. The green striped cotton was from my stash (keeping with the "Use What I Have" theme for the year).
I had intended to try the addition of little puffy white sleeves. But in the end, I was not brave enough to attempt an alteration like that. I had visions of little puffy white sleeves sticking out of the armholes and a little white apron tied around the waist. Didn't happen. It's probably just as well. White. On Sweetpea. Hahahahhah!
I seem to have trouble with zippers on garments. Specifically, trouble matching up one side with the other. This time, I broke down and bought a fabric glue stick to temporarily fix the zipper to the dress. Pinning just doesn't cut it for me. I end up getting so frustrated and wanting to recycle my machine. It was the best $3 I've spent. Recently, that is. I had never used it before, so I was quite skeptical. But desperate times call for less that desperate measures sometimes. Next time, I'll have to use a bit more than I used this time to make sure I cover the entire zipper area really thoroughly with glue. I think that will make it hold better.
I also had never done an applique before.
I thought the skirt could do with something to pull it together more completely with the top. So I added a couple of cute appliques and some ricrack (which, incidentally, I also had never used before).
Sweetpea loves it.
And she enjoyed modeling it.
I love when stuff I make for the kids makes them so happy. She didn't want to take it off...
Happy April 1st to you!!