Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tofu Potato Cakes

Here's a recipe that I love to make and that pleases everyone.  It's a nice, subtle way of introducing tofu to your family.  You can use leftover mashed potatoes, but I never have any, so I have to start from scratch each time.
When tomatoes are in season, I serve these patties with a huge tomato and pepper salad.  In the winter months, I serve it with a big green salad or a shredded carrot and cabbage salad.

Tofu Potato Cakes                                                                                            

4 large potatoes, cubed with skins

1 c. milk (I typically use soy)
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste

1/4 c. fresh chopped parsley
1 lb. firm tofu, grated

bread crumbs, whole wheat flour, or something suitable to coat the patty

Place the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with water, and boil until tender (about 15 minutes).  Drain off the water.  Mash the potatoes with the milk and salt.  Stir in the parsley and tofu. 

Coat a heavy pan with canola oil.  Heat until hot over medium-high heat.  Form a patty using about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture.  Bread the patty and pan fry until both sides are crispy.

No comments: