Thursday, February 3, 2011

Spurts

I go through spurts.  Spurts of creativity.  Spurts of productiveness.  Some of them are forced upon me - like when the tomatoes are rotting and I need to be canning sauce and salsa, or when the house needs cleaned because we are having a party.  But some of them totally come from within.  For the last month I have been on a negative spurt - or whatever is the opposite of a spurt.  Our last year was full of non-stop spurts.  We had a super long growing season (sooooo not complaining), that moved right into preparing for Munch to turn 11, which left little time to recover before the holidays (and finishing up all the canning and preserving).  After Christmas was over, I sorta went on a mental crash.  I didn't want to make any list of things to do.  I didn't want to follow any that might have been laying around.  I just wanted to curl up and stare at the wall.

Last night, I could feel a spurt coming on.  Like I said before, I plan to work with what I have this year as much as possible.  So far, I have been doing fairly well with that (although someday I'm going to break down and buy some pencils so we can stop spending 30 minutes in search of one before each time Boy sits down to practice his math!!!!).  I've been using our stored foods for meals, hoping that I'll have the brilliance to actually remember, or write down, the things that we ran out of just too quickly for next year.  (I'm not such a good record keeper.)  And last night, I got the sewing bug in me again.  I was given a bag full of scraps that are much more than just scraps.  I'm hoping to make a dress for Sweetpea, a skirt for Munch, and a pair of pants for Boy.  Oh, and Boy's bday is coming up at the end of the month, and his gift this year is a patchwork quilt made out of old jeans.  I made one for Munch when she was 3.  Since Boy is turning 7, he is way overdue.  And with Sweetpea already a seasoned 3 year old, I thought I'd better get moving.

I have no hopes that the quilt will actually be done before his birthday.  But a good start is in the plan.  As far as the clothing goes, I would love for it to be done before the OEFFA conference, which is the weekend of February 19.  That is probably doable.

So, today...  I'm going to make some red pepper cream sauce using our own roasted, pureed, and frozen red peppers.  And I'm going to design and hopefully cut out Munch's skirt (more on that as I get things done.)  Hang on, I'll take a pic of the material.....  (hold music playing softly in the background)


Ok.  Here it is:

The flowered material is a denim.  Cute as can be and sooooo very Munch's style.  The orange looks to be a linen.  I'm not very good at knowing what materials are what just by look and feel, so don't quote me on any of that.  heehee.  The design floating around in my head is a knee length paneled skirt with triangular pieces of orange in between the bottom parts of the panels.  I'm sure there is some technical name for a skirt like that, but I have no clue what it is.  Keeping my fingers crossed that I have enough material, and that I can figure out how to make it.

Here's to spurts!

No comments: