Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Munch's Skirt

Remember these fabrics?


Welp.  I had an idea in my mind for a skirt for Munch.  A playful, fun skirt.  This material sooooo suits her style.  Using this tutorial from Ikatbag, I created the start of a pattern and started cutting.


Both fabrics came from a hand-me-down bag.  Of this flower denim, I had 3 larger pieces and a bunch of smaller scraps.  Somehow, the 3 larger pieces were just enough to cut out 6 of these panels.  It was meant to be Munch's skirt.

In the above picture, you can see my new cutting tools.  I went with the Gingher brand rotary cutter and 2'x3' cutting mat.  Both were purchased online at Joann's, separate times, using 50% off coupons.  Gotta love Joann's for their 50% off coupons.  I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. They make cutting a breeze!


After cutting out the panels, I went to work figuring out the orange "peek-a-boo" pieces that I intended to sandwich in between the bottoms of each panel.  This part proved a bit tricky.  If I had known what this style of skirt is called, I could have looked it up somewhere and had some help.  But I didn't know, and still don't.  So I went with what seemed right to me at the time.  And that piece (I don't have any pics of it, sorry) looked like a wide pie piece - basically a triangular wedge with a curved side.

I sewed each triangular piece to the sides of each panel, sewed the panels together along the rest of the sides, added a zipper to be on the left side of the skirt, and I had my basic skirt.

The skirt was screaming to have a separate waist band put in, so I obliged it, and sewed one in, adding a lovely button and a child's hair band for closure.

  

The hem was the most challenging part for me.  The curve of the triangular pieces was quite dramatic, making a nice neat hem nearly impossible for me.  I tried hem tape - blaaaaahhhhhhhhh!   It sucked.  So I scrapped that idea and did my best with a regular rolled hem.  I measured and cut the whole bottom so that it was all the exact same length from the waist to the bottom, ironed up the hem, and went at it with the machine.  I don't think I breathed until it was completely sewn.  It's not the most beautiful hem, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  And it's DONE!!!

All in all, I love the skirt!!



And the little bursts of orange peeking out.


Munch loves it too.  It's so cheery!

1 comment:

Anna said...

so cute, what a fun skirt!