Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Muesli

Wow!!!  Two posts in the same day!!  What am I thinking?!?!  Well, I'll tell you what...  Munch is turning 11 tomorrow.  And she's having a sleepover party on Friday night.  Saturday, we are having our families over for dinner.  Both me and my hubby come from large large families (there are 7 kids in my family, and 11 in his), so small family gatherings come out roughly around 40 people.  I'm supposed to be cleaning the house.  And preparing food.  And I am.  Slowly.  But I get bored easily with wiping dust from surfaces that only get cleaned 3 times per year (like the top of the hutch and the TV cabinet...).  I was also thinking of my yogurt, and getting hungry again for lunch.  But yogurt for lunch would really be too much.  Don't ya think?  ...  As I was thinking of yogurt, I was reminded how much I love a good muesli. 

Typically, I prefer muesli to granola.  I like the fact that it has no added oils or sweeteners.  I like the non crunch and the way it softens into the yogurt.  So, today, I think I'll mix up a batch for breakfast tomorrow.

Here's my recipe.  It's so versatile.  You can substitute whatever nuts, seeds, or fruits you prefer.  And you can play with the ratios.  I like my muesli to be about half oats and half (or slightly more than half) other goodies.

Muesli

4 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup chopped dates
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup almonds
1/2 cup wheat germ

Put everything into a gallon glass jar and shake till it's all mixed up.  Simple, tasty, nutritious.  Of course, you can switch up the ingredients how you see fit.  It can be just the way you like it.

No comments: