Monday, June 21, 2010

Strawberry Pie

Tis the season for strawberries.  This strawberry pie is sure to please!  I have always loved strawberry pie.  My dad used to make the gelatin version with a chocolate graham cracker crust, and I absolutely loved it!  But, becoming a vegetarian made that pie off limits to me.  So, way back when both me and my hubby (also a vegetarian) had some serious strawberry pie envy, I came up with this recipe.  Sweetened with fruit juice, it uses kuzu root, also known as kudzu, as the thickener.  Unlike corn starch, kuzu root is a whole food, and can be purchased at most health food stores, coops, or even some of the larger grocery stores with natural food sections.

Strawberry Pie

1 10 inch prepared and baked pie crust (everyone has their own lovely pie crust recipes, so I'll leave you to yours)
1 quart strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1 cup additional strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and mashed
1 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate (also works well with white grape juice)
5 T kuzu root

Carefully arrange (dump) the quart of strawberries into the baked and cooled pie crust.  In a medium sauce pan, mix the juice, mashed berries, and kuzu root until the kuzu root is mostly dissolved.  Turn on the heat and bring to a boil, whisk (I like that word) constantly.  Continue to whisk constantly, and whisk and whisk until the mixture thickens and turns from milky to translucent.  Pour this hot mixture over the berries, stir to coat them all, and put in the fridge for about an hour or until chilled and set.  Serve with your favorite whipped topping.  Sooooo yummy!

No comments: