Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Raining Owls

It's raining here.  A nice steady all day sort of rain.  I love rain.  It makes me happy.  And, today, it's a welcome break from all the outside stuff we've been doing.  Also forced me to actually take Munch shopping to get black leggings for her dance recital this weekend.  (Something I have a hard time agreeing to if it is NOT raining out.)

I thought it would also be a good time to share with you my new favorite bag - my owl bag.


I love it!  And I made it myself.  I didn't follow a pattern.  It's basically a glorified tote bag with boxed corners.  The finished bag measures about 14 inches tall by about 16 inches wide and about 3 inches deep.  I used cotton quilters fabric for all the pieces with a fusible fleece between the layers for added sturdiness.  The handles are old climbing webbing covered over with the striped material.  The webbing runs all the way down and around the bottom of the bag (hidden between the 2 layers) for extra sturdiness.  I wanted to be able to carry books or other heavier things without worry.

Aside from the owls (I love owls), the inside is my favorite favorite part!


And...


And even more fun - I made a key clip!!


I hemmed all the pockets - top and bottom - and then sewed them into each panel before sewing the liner up together.  The zipper pocket was made using the basic idea behind this zipper pocket tutorial on the Sew, Mama, Sew! blog.  It was not as hard as I thought it was going to be.


I added a magnetic snap for some closure.

All in all, I am very pleased with the way it turned out!  I love all the pockets, the materials, the zipper, pen pocket, the key clip, and the owls.  Did I mention the owls?


Did I mention that I love owls?

5 comments:

Jessie said...

You did NOT make that!!!??? There is so much about you I don't know! Awesome job!

alayne said...

Thanks, Jessie! I did. So nice to hear from you!

Ann said...

Ed was talking about how awesome your bag was. He was thinking a man bag that said "beer" on the outside. Ha!

alayne said...

Ha! That would be cool! Does he want me to make him one? I will as a graduation present...

inadvertent farmer said...

That is awesome...love the inside too! Great job, Kim