Monday, August 23, 2010

Pasta with Fresh Tomatoes, Swiss Chard, and Cucumbers



This pasta dish could not be any easier on a night you don't feel like cooking!  Not that Friday was that sort of day for me.  I really felt like getting sandwiches for dinner, but all the summer goodness from the garden wouldn't hear of it!  So, I started cooking anyway.  As with many things I make, I had no recipe, not even much of a starting idea when I began cooking.  I just had a vague idea that I wanted pasta with fresh tomatoes.  I boiled a pound of pasta, gathered my tomatoes, and perused my garden veggies for some inspiration.  I noticed some swiss chard impatiently waiting to get used, and half a cucumber sitting there with a dejected look about itself.  That's when dinner happened.

I put the boiled pasta back in the pot, and drizzled it with olive oil.  Then I cut up a ton of tomatoes until it looked like a good amount to me (read: until I got tired of cutting tomatoes).  I used mostly smaller tomatoes that i only had to halve or quarter in as many colors as I could find.  Then I cut up the half cucumber into little cucumber "triangles", sliced the swiss chard into little ribbons, threw that all into the pot, and salted the whole thing to taste.  It sat for just a bit to let the salt juice the tomatoes and chard, and then we ate.  I really liked it sprinkled with nutritional yeast.  I'm sure it would be wonderful with grated romano cheese.  But the best thing about it is that it's great just as it is.


What do you like on your pasta?

No comments: