Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dippin'

I thought I'd share a couple of dippin' recipes with you today.  The first is a basic hummus.  I have made so much hummus in my life, that I don't use a recipe anymore.  These are the basic measurements that I eyeball each time I make it.  Hummus is easy.  Don't be afraid to change up the ratios.  You can almost not go wrong...

Hummus

1 cup dried garbanzo beans (chick peas), soaked for 1 whole day, cooked, and cooled (save some of the cooking liquid for adding to the mix, but don't worry if you forget this, you can always add water)

1/4 heaping cup tahini (I vastly prefer raw organic, but the 2 seem so difficult for me to find together, I have been opting for toasted organic, which is stronger in flavor)

the juice of 2 lemons (bottled works as well, but fresh is better)

1 T. olive oil (this is optional.  I don't always use oil, but I definitely do if I'm going to eat it a number of days later)

salt to taste (1 tsp or so should do the trick, but you may need to add more or less depending on your needs/desires)

a good and healthy shake of paprika

Put all these ingredients in a food processor and process it until it's smooth.


Hummus is the perfect dip for all your fresh veggies this time of year.  It's also wonderful slathered on fresh homemade bread.  My kids love it as a hummus wrap.  Just take a whole grain tortilla, spread hummus all over it, sprinkle with shredded carrots, top with lettuce, and roll it up.

As we roll into apple season here, this recipe has come back into my mind.  It's a great one for the winter as well if you can applesauce.

Papple Butter

1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1 T. honey

Mix everything together in a bowl.

We enjoy this primarily for dipping graham crackers, but it's great on toast for a quick breakfast.  It also works as a great dip for sliced fruits, especially pears or apples.

No comments: